In July 2005, Vanir was selected to provide construction management/staff augmentation services for California Department of State Hospitals (DSH)-Metropolitan’s new, LEED Gold certified kitchen. DSH-Metropolitan is an acute licensed psychiatric hospital serving adult patients from Los Angeles and Orange counties. Its original kitchen was built in 1950 and could no longer keep up with demand. The new kitchen became one of the first cook-chill facilities to earn LEED Gold certification and the only one of its kind in California.
Cooking with the environment in mind
Our team assisted the Department of General Services in commissioning environmentally sound practices, including:
- Reduction of water use by 30% in all non-food production areas
- Reduction of chlorofluorocarbon in the HVAC system with the use of environmentally-safe refrigerants
- Energy efficiency optimization with the lowest energy usage
- Storage and collection of recyclables
- Recycled and low-emission building materials