Vanir was selected by the General Services Administration (GSA) to provide construction management services for Phase I of the expansion and modernization of the Mariposa Land Port of Entry (LPOE), located on 56 acres. Vanir provided limited pre-construction services for the complete project and construction management services for Phase I. Phase I included:
- Import of 650,000 cubic yards of soil, compaction and grading
- Selective demolition of existing buildings and infrastructure
- Construction of mechanically stabilized earth and reinforced concrete retaining walls
- Installation of miles of utilities, including storm and sanitary sewers, domestic water, gas, electric, telecom and security infrastructure
- Construction of roadways and parking lots
As an extension of GSA’s staﬀ, Vanir maintained a full-time, on-site presence, carrying out all contractual functions in accordance with GSA requirements and the federal acquisitions regulations. We incorporated measures to avoid claims, determine quality and identify ambiguities/conﬂicts in the project documents.
Successful construction while LPOE was operating
The Mariposa LPOE is the largest commercial port of entry in Arizona. At the time of this project, 50% of produce imports entered the U.S. through the port and additional daily traﬃc included about 1,000 pedestrians, 1,800 cars and 1,000 to 1,600 trucks. The port was open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and the challenge was to keep port operations uninterrupted throughout construction.