Vanir, in joint venture with AECOM, provided project management services for LAWA’s new LEED Gold central utilities plant (CUP), the largest of its kind in the nation. The project replaced the 50-year-old plant with a more modern and efficient facility, providing additional capacity for air conditioning, heating and lighting of terminals and airport buildings.
The new CUP supplies hot and chilled water to all terminal buildings and other facilities in the Central Terminal Area at LAX. Major project components include:
- CUP building and chillers, boilers, pumps and gas turbine-driven generators with heat recovery steam generators (co-gen)
- Utility distribution systems
- Demolition of existing CUP, cooling towers and maintenance buildings
- Pump room upgrades in the terminals
- New facility management and control system (FMCS)