The Interbay Pump Station Upgrade, which increased the station’s pumping capacity from 122 MGD to 133 MGD, was completed ahead of schedule with a low change order rate. The Vanir team provided technical engineering expertise, schedule review and analysis, RFI/Submittal/Document control and change management. Construction had to be performed while maintaining the 24/7 operation; we worked collaboratively with King County Operations staff to schedule and coordinate the work efficiently.
- Construction included removal and replacement of the three existing 36” raw sewage pumps and drives with new pumps with high-efficiency motors on VFDs
- Within the building, the 36” steel discharge piping was removed and replaced and the four existing 36” ball valves were reinstalled
- Structural modifications were made to the existing structure
- Mechanical work included a utility water pump, nonpotable water pumps, an instrument air compressor and sump pumps
- Electrical work included replacing the existing 4160 volt and 480 volt switchgear, constructing a generator building and the purchase and installation of one 4160 volt generator
- HVAC work included replacement of fans, air ducts, the addition of a heat pump and unit heaters and installation of an on-site odor control unit
- The existing bridge crane was replaced and a new hoist installed