The John J. Benoit Detention Center is the largest project that the County of Riverside has ever constructed. Vanir provided program and construction management services for the 600,000-square-foot facility, which replaced an existing county jail. The new detention center was constructed in two phases.
Phase I included:
- Four-story, 1,626-bed housing structure
- Three-story support building (two above grade and one below grade) containing inmate intake, transfer and release areas
- Medical clinics
- Full-service kitchen with food storage
- An extension of an existing below-grade tunnel
Phase II included:
- Equipment salvage
- Intake sallyport and public parking
- Demolition and hardscape construction at the former jail location
The project was designed to achieve LEED Silver certification — its features allow for energy and water reduction measures and indoor air quality management.