Virginia Department of Corrections Prison Projects
Successful Inspections of Major Prisons
Vanir has successfully provided inspection services on five prison projects in Virginia:
- Pittsylvania Medium Security Facility: construction of four celled housing buildings with a total of 1,024 beds; a multi-purpose building including food service, programs, DCE space; an administration building; and a warehouse/maintenance building.
- Tazewell Medium Security Facility: construction of four celled housing buildings with a total of 1,024 beds; a multi-purpose building including food service, programs, DCE and a VCE laundry; an administration building; and a warehouse/ maintenance building.
- Deerfield Correctional Center Expansion: construction of 600 beds of dormitory styled housing units; expansion of the program building, food service/dining area, and administration building; new medical unit.
- St. Brides Correctional Center – Phase 1: construction of 400 replacement beds and demolition of existing structures on site.
- St. Brides Correctional Center – Phase 2: construction of 800 beds in dormitory-style housing buildings; a gymnasium/multi-purpose area; a warehouse/support building; and a segregation unit.
Accelerated Schedule and Cost Savings
Several of the new facilities used the latest design and technology innovations for steel cell construction, which allowed for accelerated schedules and cost savings for the owner. Vanir’s professional knowledge with public-private partnerships assisted the Department of Corrections in constructing the Medium Security Correctional Facilities (MSCF), located throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.